Thanks to Meredith Harrell, catering manager of wedding events at The Joule Dallas, for answering this week’s reader question:
We’re starting the overwhelming process of looking for a wedding reception venue. What are the top five things to keep in mind as we start touring reception spaces?
1. First impression is everything. The way you feel when you walk through the doors of that venue is the way your guest will feel as they enter your wedding. Make sure you instantly feel connected and you feel like it is an excellent reflection of you as a couple.
2. Ask yourself: “What is the most important aspect of my wedding?” If you want over-the-top florals and décor then it probably doesn’t make sense to spend 85 percent of your budget on the food and beverage at your wedding venue.
For more tips, follow Meredith after the jump.
3. It is important to know the maximum capacities of your venue. If you think your guest attendance could exceed that amount then you will want to be cognizant of that. There is nothing worse than making your guests feel uncomfortable in a space that is too small. You want everyone to be at ease and enjoy the ambiance of your wedding.
4. How much time is allocated for your setup and will you be the only wedding at that venue that day. This may not be important to you, but it is important to know and your vendors will certainly appreciate the information.
5. What is included with the venue? If, by chance, they have a fabulous house linen and charger then that could save you quite a bit of money! Some venues do not include tables and chairs and that cost will certainly add up more quickly than you can imagine.
I have always told my couples that the venue selection is one of the hardest parts of the wedding planning process but once you find the perfect venue, everything else will start to fall into place. One thing Dallas is not lacking is incredible wedding venues so for all the brides and grooms out there. Happy Hunting!